How Midco Shapes Future Augustana University Programs
This is a paid part from Midco.
Simplified: Midco has made significant donations to Augustana University, especially last year. Here’s a look at how this support creates programs to prepare student and student-athletes for the future.
Why is this important
- Augustana University inaugurated last week the Midco Arena, which was made possible, in part, by support from Midco. The arena will be home to an NCAA Division I hockey team, the first of its kind for college, city and state.
- The arena announcement came months after Midco announced a Donation of $ 1.35 million to the university, funding for the creation of the Midco Media Campus and the Midco Production Center, as well as the expansion of the company’s sports sponsorship.
- These gifts show Midco’s commitment both to the university and to the community at large.
“The centrality of this geographic location has a lot of symbolism,” said Midco President and CEO Pat McAdaragh. “We want Augustana to be the nucleus, the center of the community, the hub of activity for all age groups.”
Technological developments bringing Augustana’s new multimedia entrepreneurship major – housed in the music department – “light years away,” said Peter Folliard, dean of the music school.
The center, located in the Humanities Building in Augustana, includes two main components:
- A control room including a video standard and an audio mixer.
- A production studio with cameras, lights and green screens for production.
The goal, Folliard said, is to give students the tools they need to function not only in the music industry, but also in journalism, athletics, communications and more.
“Music is 12 notes,” he said. “These are the same 12 notes since the beginning of time, but technology has been the force multiplier that has changed everything.”
Midco also donated two miles of fiber optic cable, bringing blazingly fast internet speeds to campus, which will allow a massive amount of data to be sent in nanoseconds, Folliard said.
- This will give the athletics department the technology to do instant reruns, for example.
“Get out your compass, land your point at Sioux Falls and draw a five-hour radius, and you won’t have a program that touches on something like that,” Folliard said. “It’s that leaning forward.”
Tell me more about the arena
The 3000-seat arena will be located at the southeast corner of 33rd Street and Grange Avenue, on the south side of the Augustana campus.
It is believed to be a $ 40 million project, with funds from Midco, T. Denny Sanford, Sanford Health and others.
For Midco, it is also an opportunity to elevate the work in athletics that the company already supports through the Midco Sports Network.
“It’s a way to take our sports production business to a whole new level,” said McAdaragh. “The connection between Midco Sports Network and all the work they do, and this name of this arena suits us perfectly.”
What happens next?
The Midco arena is slated to open in 2023. Augustana plans to hire a hockey coach by next summer.
The Midco media center opened this fall and will continue to offer classes to students, including the 12 who have enrolled in the new major in Multimedia Entrepreneurship, Folliard said.